Brig. Gen. David N. Miller, Jr., is the Director of Plans, Programs and Financial Management, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado. As the Command’s Chief Financial Officer, Planner and Programmer, General Miller is responsible for a $10 billion Operations & Maintenance, and Investment budget that provides agile, integrated and resilient space and cyberspace capabilities for the joint force and the nation. His 120-person team provides resource planning, programming and budget execution; develops the Space Program Objective Memorandum; provides Financial Planning, Accounting and Audit Services, for over 30,000 space personnel. He is also responsible for overseeing the planning, programming and budget execution for the Command's Special Access Program and security activities.
General Miller entered the Air Force in 1993 and is a graduate of Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania. He has commanded America’s Airmen at the wing, group and squadron level and has held a range of operational leadership and staff positions to include Minuteman III intercontinental ballistic missile senior evaluator, Space-Based Infrared System Weapons and Tactics Flight Commander, Air Staff Space Control Division Chief, Joint Space Operations Center Combat Operations Division Chief, Military Assistant to the Under Secretary of the Air Force, and the Senior Advisor to the Prime Minister’s Office and the Iraqi Ministry of Interior.
Prior to his current position, he was the commander of the 460th Space Wing, Buckley Air Force Base, Colorado. The wing ensures combat-ready Airmen provide warning, surveillance and installation operations for the U.S. and its allies. In addition to its global responsibilities, the wing hosts more than 95 tenant organizations and over 14,000 people on the installation.
1993 Bachelor of Arts degree in Anthropology and Sociology, Lafayette College, Easton, Pa.
1997 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1997 Master's in Business Administration, with Honors, Regis University, Denver, Colo.
2001 US Air Force Weapons School, Academic Award and Best Paper Honors, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2005 Distinguished Graduate, Master's degree in National Security and Strategic Studies, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
2006 Master's degree in Airpower Arts and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Science degree in National Security Strategy, National War College, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2015 Leadership Enhancement Program, Center for Creative Leadership, Greensboro, N.C.
2016 Enterprise Perspective Seminar, Alan Freed Associates, Washington D.C.
2017 China and East Asia Seminar, Alan Freed Associates, Washington D.C.
1. July 1993 - May 1994, Gold Bar Recruiter, AFROTC Det 485, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, N.J.
2. May 1994 - September 1994, Outstanding Performer, Undergraduate Missile Training, Vandenberg AFB Calif.
3. September 1994 - September 1998, ICBM operator, instructor and Senior Standards/Evaluations Crew Commander, 321st Missile Squadron and 90th Operations Group, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
4. September 1998 - May 2000, Weapons and Tactics Flight Commander, 2nd Space Warning Squadron, Buckley Air National Guard Base, Colo.
5. May 2000 - June 2001, Executive Officer, 21st Operations Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
6. July 2001 - December 2001, Student, U.S. Air Force Weapons School Space Division, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. December 2001 - March 2002, Chief, Weapons and Tactics, 21st Operations Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
8. March 2002 - June 2005, Chief of Strategy Plans, Pacific Air Forces Air Operations Center and Legislative Liaison, PACAF Commander's Action Group, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
9. July 2005 - June 2006, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Newport, R.I.
10. July 2006 - June 2007, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
11. June 2007 - June 2008, Chief, Space Control Division, HQ Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. June 2008 - August 2009, Chief, Combat Operations Division, 614th AOC/JSpOC, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
13. September 2009 - June 2011, Commander, 2nd Range Operations Squadron, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
14. June 2011 - July 2012, Military Assistant to the USECAF, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. July 2012 - June 2013, Student, National War College, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
16. June 2013 - June 2015, Commander, 21st Operations Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
17. July 2015 - August 2016, Senior Advisor to the Prime Minister’s Office and Minister of Interior, U.S. Embassy, Baghdad, Iraq
18. August 2016 - January 2018, Commander, 460th Space Wing, Buckley Air Force Base, Colo.
19. January 2018 - present, Director, Plans, Programs and Financial Management, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
Minuteman III ICBM, DSP/SBIRS Crew Commander, Chief, Combat Operations, Air and Space Operations Center/Joint Space Operations Center, Operations Director/Forward Observer - Western Range, Space Control Crew Commander
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2015 - July 2016, Senior Advisor to the Prime Minister’s Office and the Ministry of Interior, U.S. Embassy, Baghdad, as a colonel
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1993
First Lieutenant June 18, 1995
Captain June 18, 1997
Major Nov. 1, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 1, 2007
Colonel July 1, 2012
Brigadier General Aug. 17, 2018
(Current as of September 2018)