Maj. Gen Edward A. Sauley III serves as the Air National Guard Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Space Command, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado. He is responsible for working with the staffs at Air Force Space Command and the National Guard Bureau to ensure Air National Guard space forces are organized, trained and equipped to provide space capabilities to the combatant commands. The Air National Guard presence in Air Force Space Command consists of more than 900 Guardsmen assigned to nine units performing missions in space superiority operations, command and control, missile warning and space situational awareness
General Sauley earned his bachelor’s degree and commission from the United States Air Force Academy, and attended undergraduate pilot training at Laughlin AFB, Texas. He is a command pilot and has previously qualified as an instructor/evaluator in both the F-16 and the KC-135.
General Sauley has command experience at the flight, squadron, group and wing level. He is a command pilot with over 3,400 total flying hours and 150 Combat hours flown during operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
1988 Bachelor of Science in Astronautical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1991 Tactical Fighter Electronic Combat Operations Course, Eglin AFB, Fla.
1997 Master of Aeronautical Science, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
2002 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Air War College, by correspondence
2012 Director of Mobility Forces Course, MacDill AFB, Fla.
2013 Air Force Nuclear Management Fundamentals Course, Air Force Nuclear College, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2013 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2014 Air Force Advanced Nuclear Concepts Course, Air Force Nuclear College, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
2016 Senior Leadership Orientation Course, Joint Base Andrews, MD and Joint Base San Antonio – Lackland, Texas
2017 National Defense University, CAPSTONE, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
1. June 1988 - August 1989, student, undergraduate pilot training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. August 1989 - December 1989, student, fighter lead-in training, Holloman Air Force Base, N.M.
3. December 1989 - June 1990, student, F-16C Replacement Training Unit, MacDill Air Force Base, Fla.
4. June 1990 - September 1990, student, Low Altitude Targeting Infrared for Night), Luke AFB, Ariz.
5. September 1990 - March 1992, F-16C pilot, Wing Electronic Combat Pilot, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
6. March 1992 - January 1995, F-16ADF Mission Commander, Chief of Wing Scheduling, 177th Fighter Wing, Atlantic City, N.J.
7. January 1995 - May 1995, student, F-16C Instructor Pilot Course, Luke AFB, Ariz.
8. May 1995 - March 1997, F-16C Academic and Flight Instructor pilot, Luke AFB, Ariz.
9. March 1997 - January 1998, Flight Commander, Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
10. January 1998 - October 2001, F-16C Evaluator pilot and Mission Commander, Sioux City, Iowa
11. October 2001 - June 2003, F-16C Flight Commander, 185th Fighter Wing, Sioux City, Iowa
12. June 2003 - October 2003, KC-135E Flight Commander, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, Iowa
13. October 2003 - May 2005, Chief of Current Operations, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, Iowa
14. May 2005 - June 2005, Squadron Commander, 90th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Incirlik, Turkey
15. June 2005 - February 2006, Chief of Current Operations, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, Iowa
16. March 2006 - June 2007, KC-135E Aircraft Commander and Squadron Operations Officer, Sioux City, Iowa
17. June 2007 - August 2010, Operations Group Commander, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, Iowa
18. August 2010 - June 2011, Wing Commander, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, Iowa
19. June 2011 - July 2012, Operations Group Commander, 185th Air Refueling Wing, Sioux City, Iowa
20. July 2012 - November 2014, Air National Guard Advisor to USSTRATCOM, and Battle Watch Commander, Offutt AFB, Neb.
21. December 2014 - April 2018, Mobilization Assistant to USSTRATCOM Director of Operations, and J3E, Joint Electromagnetic Spectrum Operations, Offutt AFB, Neb.
22. May 2018 - present, Air National Guard Assistant to the Commander, Air Force Space Command, Peterson, AFB, Colo.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2012 - November 2014, Air National Guard Advisor to USSTRATCOM, and Battle Watch Commander, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a colonel
2. December 2014 - 2018, Mobilization Assistant to the Director, Global Operations (J-3), USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb., as a brigadier general
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 3,400
Aircraft flown: AT-38, F-16ADF, F-16C, KC-135E, KC-135R, T-37, T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1988
First Lieutenant June 1, 1990
Captain June 1, 1992
Major Nov. 24, 1998
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 12, 2003
Colonel Jan. 26, 2009
Brigadier General July 27, 2015
Major General May 1, 2018
(Current as of September 2018)