Mr. Michael R. Dickey is Director of the Enterprise Strategy and Architectures Office and the Air Force Space Command Chief Architect at Air Force Space Command Headquarters, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado. In this role, he oversees, directs and coordinates efforts of multiple Department of Defense and non-DoD organizations’ efforts to implement a resilient, multi-domain compatible enterprise for space mission areas. He leads a core team of experts that orchestrate planning and implementation of activities and processes within Air Force Space Command and across partner organizations to transition and transform to an enterprise-focused, threat-informed approach to developing and delivering space capabilities. Mr. Dickey is a highly qualified expert who will serve in this assignment for up to five years.
Mr. Dickey served a 21-year active duty career, retiring as a colonel in 2009. He entered the Air Force through the Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1987 holding engineering and operations assignments in space, missile defense, and aircraft systems. He served in line, staff and command positions at the laboratory, squadron, group, major command and headquarters levels.
As a civilian, Mr. Dickey worked on the development of space system solutions that leveraged the technology and economics of small spacecraft to meet mission needs.
1987 Bachelor of Science (Special Honors), Aerospace Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.
1988 Master of Science, Aerospace Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colo.
1992 Squadron Officer School, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1996 US Air Force Test Pilot School, Distinguished Graduate, Edwards AFB, Calif.
1998 Air Command and Staff College, Distinguished Graduate, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Master of Security Studies, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2006 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2006 Penn State University, Executive Management Program, State College, Pa.
2008 Center for Creative Leadership, Developing the Strategic Leader, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1. 1988 - 1990, Aerospace Vehicle Analyst, Air Force Astronautics Lab, Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.
2. 1990 - 1992, Test Director - National Hover Test Facility and Lightweight Exo-Atmospheric Projectile Test Manager, Phillips Lab, Edwards AFB, Calif.
3. 1993 - 1995, Program Integrator - Interceptor Technology Test, Ballistic Missile Defense Organization, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
4. 1995 - 1996, Student, U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
5. 1996 - 1997, B-2 Lead Flight Test Engineer, 420th Flight Test Squadron, Edwards AFB, Calif.
6. 1997 - 1998, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. 1998 - 2000, Deputy Chief, Plans Integration, Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
8. 2000 - 2002, Commander, 3rd Space Operations Squadron, Schriever AFB, Colo.
9. 2002 - 2003, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. 2003 - 2005, Chief, Program Support Division, Deputy Directorate for Global Operations, J-3, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. 2005 - 2006, Special Assistant to the Chairman, Office of the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
12. 2006 - 2009, Operations Group Commander and Director, Engineering and Support Group, Aerospace Data Facility-Colorado, Buckley AFB, Colo.
13. 2009 - 2016, Director, Spacecraft Strategy and Business Development, Sierra Nevada Corporation, Louisville, Colo.
14. 2016 - 2018, Chief, Space Enterprise Vision, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
15. 2018 - present, Director, Enterprise Strategy and Architectures Office, Headquarters Air Force Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colo.
AWARDS AND HONORS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Air Force Legion of Merit
National Reconnaissance Office Gold Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Raymond L. Jones Award
NASA Group Achievement Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATION
Life Member, Air Force Association
Associate Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
(Current as of February 2019)